Mini Whoopie Pies
Puchi Whoopie Pie
- 70g butter, warmed (take it out of the fridge 30m-1hr in advance)
- 1 egg
- 150g caster sugar
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 285g plain flour
- 150ml buttermilk
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extractr, or to taste
- 1tsp matcha powder
- a few drops of red food colouring
- 2 tbsp freeze-dried yuzu (or fresh yuzu rind & juice, if you can find it; try your local Asian store or go online)
For the frosting:
- 450g cream or soft cheese
- 150 butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar (sift to make it smooth)
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 1tsp matcha powder, or to taste
- 2-3tbsp ground sesame, or to taste
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C
- Whisk the egg, hard, until full of air. Add the sugar, gradually. Mix well, mix hard!
- Add the softened butter, and beat hard again ? the mixture should be as light and air-filled as possible.
- Add the buttermilk, and vanilla to taste.
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Beat hard, until as smooth as you can get it.
- Divide the mixture into four bowls. For pink pies, add a couple of drops of red food colouring to the mixture. For green pies, add a teaspoon of matcha powder. For yuzu-y yellow pies, add either a few good sprinkles of freeze-dried yuzu or, if you are lucky enough to find it, the rind and a good squeeze of the juice of yuzu. Leave as is for vanilla pies.
- Line a tray with baking paper and use a piping bag to pipe out neat little blobs of mixture. For mini pies, think the size of a 50p coin. You will have to sandwich the blobs together once they are cooked, so try and be as consistent as possible. You can also use a spoon, but this is more hit-and-miss.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, remove and leave to cool. We baked ours in colour batches to avoid disaster.
- Whilst your blobs are baking, make the filling. Mix the cream cheese, sifted icing sugar and butter together. Add a few drops of vanilla extract to taste, or customise ? we used 1tsp matcha powder in one batch, and 2-3tbsp ground sesame in the other. Mix well, and put in the fridge as you wait for your cake blobs to cool.
- Once your cake blobs are cool, sandwich together at will.