Spinach in Dashi Sauce
Horenso no Ohitashi
This is a classic side dish, simple yet umami-rich. Spinach, packed with minerals, iron and fibre, is a great addition to any diet, too.
- 800ml Japanese soup stock
- 400g spinach
- 3tsp soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp mirin
- Some katsuobushi bonito flakes, optional
- Bunch together the stems of the spinach and cut off their roots. Blanch in hot salted water, then immerse in cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- Add the soup stock, soy sauce, salt and mirin into a pan, and when they reach boiling point, dip the spinach leaves into the pan, remove immediately and cool. Allow the dashi in the pan to cool. When cold, place the spinach into the soup stock and leave to soak for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the spinach from the pan and cut into bite-size pieces, then place in a bowl and sprinkle on the bonito flakes.