Split Pea Soup
with Clearspring Organic Brown Rice Miso
Miso is most commonly used to make miso soup, an everyday dish in Japan, but there are many more ways to create delicious dishes with miso. This thick, rich, and satisfying pea soup combines the richness of miso with a British classic; it’s so warming and wholesome that you’ll soon be wondering why you ever made soup without miso. Incorporating miso into your diet will also boost your nutrition: miso is a high energy whole food, packed with friendly bacteria. Remember the old adage about an apple a day? In Japan, it’s a bowl of nourishing miso soup.
- 250 g dried (or 500 g fresh) split green peas
- 2 inch strip Clearspring Kombu (optional)
- 2 tsp Clearspring Sesame Oil or Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, diced into 1 cm cubes
- 1 large carrot, diced into 1 cm cubes
- 1 stick of celery, diced into 1 cm cubes
- 2 pinches of Clearspring Sea Salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp ground celery seed (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 ½ tbsp Clearspring Organic Brown Rice Miso, dissolved in 2 tbsp water (Mix Brown Rice Miso with Sweet White Miso to make the soup milder)
- fresh basil, to garnish
- Wash peas and place in a pan with 1 litre of water. Add kombu for flavour if desired. Bring to the boil, skim off any foam, reduce heat and simmer, lid ajar, until peas are tender (60-75 mins). Add water throughout as needed (a).
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onion on medium until translucent. Add carrot, celery and a small pinch of salt. Sauté on low for 5 mins (b).
- Add sautéed vegetables, bay leaf and celery seeds to peas, then simmer for a further 20 mins. Add basil and miso and simmer for 2 mins (c). Use 3/4 tbsp of Brown Rice Miso and 3/4 tbsp of Sweet White Miso instead to make the soup milder with a brighter colour. Blend if desired. Garnish with basil to serve.
by Atsuko Ikeda
Like soy sauce, miso is sodium-rich. Naturally fermented miso, like those in the Clearspring range, has a beautiful, natural depth of flavour and therefore contain less salt than mass-produced, cheaper types. Read more...
Clearspring Organic Brown Rice Miso
Clearspring Organic Brown Rice Miso is still made as slowly and as authentically as possible, unlike most commercially available miso. Careful preparation and fermentation results in miso rich in flavour and texture, and full of beneficial microorganisms. Other Clearspring miso products include Barley Miso, Hatcho Miso, Sweet White Miso and Instant Miso Soups.
Clearspring’s extensive range of high quality organically certified miso products is available in Sainsbury’s, Whole Foods, Planet Organic, Goodness Food online and organic/ natural food stores and Japanese/Asian grocery stores. Find out about stockists at www.clearspring.co.uk.