How To Cook Rice (The Japanese Way)
Gohan no Takikata
Getting the rice right is more than half the battle with many Japanese dishes--learn the perfect technique here.
- 500g Yumenishiki rice(Short grain)
- 625ml water
- Place the rice in a bowl. Pour in some water and swill the bowl to remove any impurities, then drain the water using your palm as a barrier.
- Pour in more water and wash the rice by stirring with your palm, then drain the water again. Repeat 3-5 times until the drained water becomes clear.
- When draining for the final time, use a sieve and let the rice drain for 30 minutes to absorb the moisture on the surface, Alternatively, leave the rice in a bowl of water for 30 minutes to absorb water. Either method will result in better rice.
- Place the rice and 625ml of water in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. When the boiling point is reached, reduced the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave for a further 10 minutes. Leave the lid on during this cooking process.