Oden-style Chicken Pot-au-Feu
Chikin no Oden-fu Potofu
- 1 chicken thigh, on the bone
- 5g salt
- 1 potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly sliced
- 2 Brussels sprouts
- 2 mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 600ml water
- 20ml soy sauce
- 5g sugar
- One hour before cooking, sprinkle the chicken thigh with the salt.
- Place the water and chicken in a pan and heat. Once boiling, carefully remove the scum, then add the soy sauce, sugar, thyme, bay leaf and carrot, and simmer for 30 minutes. Continue to remove any scum that appears.
- Add the potato, mushrooms and Brussels sprouts and simmer for another 30 minutes. Once all the ingredients have become tender, place in a bowl and serve with mustard.
Kaoru first came to London in 1973, where he worked at the Hama Grill for four years. He then returned to Japan to take a position at Bistro D’arbre, a prestigious French restaurant in Tokyo for a decade. From 1993, he opened his own French restaurant, Cahors. Now, after returning to the UK once more, he is Head Chef at London’s So Restaurant.
Kaoru has remained dedicated to perfecting the fine art of French cooking, and at So Restaurant guests can enjoy an original, innovative menu of French dishes arranged with a distinctly Japanese touch.